Washington University physicians deliver national leading transplant care at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and St. Louis Children's Hospital. Chronic, complex health conditions may lead to organ transplant surgery. Our team understands that your need for a new organ is urgent. We help you find an organ match and use advanced surgical techniques to provide you with the best outcome possible. Our compassionate, experienced transplant team is there every step of the way — from evaluation to recovery.
When you to come to us for a transplant, you can expect:
- Collaborative, compassionate care: Our experts work together, giving you tailored care. Your team may include skilled surgeons, specialists, nurses, social workers and dietitians. You receive treatment from an entire team of compassionate providers who work with you through the transplant process.
- Innovative transplant opportunities: We offer leading procedures performed by some of the nation’s top transplant surgeons. Our transplant specialists collaborate to treat patients needing multi-organ transplants, such as heart-lung or kidney-pancreas.
- Highly experienced surgeons: We’ve performed over 13,000 solid organ transplants. As a high-volume transplant hospital, our surgeons deeply understand your needs and how to provide you with the best outcomes.
- Research emphasis: Our affiliation with Washington University School of Medicine gives patients access to the latest surgical techniques and developing therapies. You may have the opportunity to be a part of our clinical trials and receive effective treatments before they are widely available.
- Patient and family support: You and your loved ones can access education, support groups, one-on-one psychological counseling and our Transplant Mentor Program. In this program, someone who has already had a transplant provides you with information, guidance and emotional support.
Transplant Specialties & Services at BJC
Our transplant team has deep experience and advanced skills you won’t find elsewhere in the region. Our multidisciplinary teams perform hundreds of transplant surgeries each year.
- As one of the largest transplant centers in the nation, we have performed more than 1,000 heart transplants since 1985.
- We help you decide if kidney transplantation is the right treatment for you. Our team performs 250 kidney transplants per year, the highest volume in the state and one of the highest in the nation.
- We offer liver transplant surgery to patients with complex liver conditions, including those with advanced liver cancer.
- Living kidney donation is a valuable gift. Our specialists evaluate each living kidney donor to ensure the best living kidney transplant outcomes possible.
- As a high-volume center, we’ve performed more than 2,000 lung transplants. You get expert care and innovative treatments from an experienced transplant team.
- Get expert care from our pancreas transplant specialists.
- TransplantAt our transplant center, our experienced team performs complex transplant surgeries that other centers can’t.
Josh’s Double Transplant Surgery
At 35, Josh needed new lungs and a new liver. Our transplant team restored Josh’s hope for the future with a complex surgery few centers would attempt.
BJC Transplant Locations
From routine care to the most advanced treatments, we are nearby to cover your every health need. Find expert, compassionate care to help you live your healthiest life at every stage at convenient locations throughout Missouri and Illinois.