Hearing you have prostate cancer can be devastating. Thankfully, advances in early detection and treatment have greatly reduced the risk of life-changing side effects. Our goal is to treat the cancer while helping you preserve function and maintain your best quality of life.
BJC HealthCare works with Washington University physicians, BJC Medical Group, and providers across the region to deliver extraordinary care. Siteman Cancer Center and the Missouri Baptist Cancer Center are two programs accessible through BJC HealthCare. Our prostate cancer specialists at BJC are experts at finding and treating prostate cancer. Whether it’s detected at its earliest stages or when it’s more advanced, we have the innovative methods needed to effectively diagnose and treat prostate cancer.
When you to come to us for prostate cancer treatment, you can expect:
- Nationally recognized expertise: Siteman Cancer Center means access to superior care close to home. Siteman is consistently ranked as one of the top 10 cancer centers in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
- Early and accurate diagnosis: Our experts have pioneered new techniques to improve prostate cancer diagnosis. We use highly sensitive prostate-specific antigen (PSA) tests to accurately detect prostate cancer. We’ve also developed high-tech 3-D ultrasound-guided biopsies to find tumors that might otherwise be missed.
- Advanced therapies: Our care for prostate cancer not only targets the disease, but also focuses on helping you retain essential function. We use targeted radiation that doesn’t negatively impact your bladder or bowels. And our innovative nerve-sparing surgical techniques result in fewer sexual side effects.
- Personalized treatment plans: Prostate cancer care is not one size fits all. Our customized approach means focusing on exactly what you need. In some cases, that might mean careful monitoring. For others, an aggressive combination of innovative treatments may be necessary. Our goal is to find the right approach for each patient.
- Research and clinical trials: New therapies for prostate cancer — as well as novel combinations of therapies — are constantly evolving. Our doctors participate in cutting-edge clinical trials that help us improve treatment options. That means you have access to the most innovative discoveries sooner.
- Support throughout treatment and beyond: Prostate cancer, and its treatment, can leave behind physical and emotional side effects. We understand your concerns and are here to help you regain urinary and sexual function, and feel like yourself again. Learn more about our cancer support services.
An estimated 1 in 8 men in the United States will be diagnosed with prostate cancer at some point in their lives. Prostate cancer begins when abnormal cells in your prostate gland multiply. Your prostate gland sits near your bladder and rectum. Your urethra, the tube that transports urine and semen out of your penis, goes through your prostate gland.
Since there are many vital areas around the prostate gland, the biggest challenge of treating prostate cancer is not causing permanent damage to any of them.
We use a combination of physical exams and blood and urine tests to help identify markers for prostate cancer. These tests can include:
- Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) screening: This test measures the level of PSA in your blood or urine. Elevated levels can mean a higher risk of prostate cancer.
- Digital rectal exam: During a physical examination, your doctor can feel your prostate to determine if it’s enlarged.
- Transrectal ultrasound: This unique technology provides clearer images of your prostate. We are currently one of only a handful of centers that uses this method to help diagnose prostate cancer.
- Biopsy: Analyzing a sample of tissue from your prostate is the only way to know if cancer is present. We use high-tech imaging techniques to guide the biopsy, which improves accuracy and reduces risk
- Patient Story