Neck and Back Pain
Neck and back pain do not need to be your constant companion. We can help you achieve lasting relief from issues such as bulging and slipped discs, compressed nerves, strains and other conditions. You receive world-class care, including the latest non-surgical and surgical therapies close to home.
BJC HealthCare works with Washington University physicians, BJC Medical Group, and providers across the region to deliver extraordinary care. You receive services from internationally renowned neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons specializing in neck and back pain. We use research-based approaches to tailor therapies based on whether they affect the upper or lower spine. Our careful attention throughout your care journey gives you the best chances for healing.
Highlights of our program include:
- Focus on non-surgical therapies: Many patients get better without surgery, even when other neck and back pain treatments have failed. Care may include custom braces, physical therapy or cortisone injections. Get more information about physical medicine and physical therapy.
- National recognition: Some BJC hospital locations maintain High Performing Hospital designation from U.S. News & World Report for back surgery. This accolade represents our commitment to high-quality spinal fusion. We perform a high volume of medically appropriate surgeries and patients speak highly of their experience with us.
- Innovation: If you have slipped and bulging discs, artificial disc replacement instead of spinal fusion may be right for you. We also offer decompression surgery to relieve narrowing (stenosis) in the tissue surrounding your spine. This minimally invasive procedure may be an option if non-surgical therapies aren’t working. It may prevent or delay the need for a more invasive procedure.
- Connected care: You receive more of the services you need in one location when you come to us. Many of our clinics have spine surgeons, physical medicine doctors, physical therapists and imaging services on site. All specialists work together to tailor your care experience so you achieve outstanding results.
- Easy access: You deserve the neck and back pain care you need when you need it. This is why we often see patients within two business days. Some of our specialists also offer virtual visits, enabling you to receive a consultation from the comfort of home.
Neck and back conditions treated include:
- Herniated or ruptured discsA herniated disc is when the pocket of tissue separating your vertebrae slips out of place. With a rupture, the cushioning substance inside leaks out.
- SciaticaThis is a complication of other spine issues, such as a herniated disc that puts pressure on a nerve running down your legs.
- Spinal arthritis (spondylosis)This condition causes ongoing pain due to wear and tear on the cartilage cushioning your spine. It can affect joints in your back or neck.
- Spinal stenosisNarrowing in the hollow spaces of the vertebrae through which your spinal cord passes. This puts pressure on nearby nerves.
- Sports injuriesThese injuries, such as sprains, strains, bursitis or tendonitis, occur in active people.
- Traumatic injuriesOrthopedic emergencies in the upper limbs include open fractures, rotator cuff tears and dislocations.