BJC HealthCare works with Washington University physicians, BJC Medical Group, and providers across the region to deliver extraordinary care. You deserve the best doctors, latest treatments and highest quality of care. This is precisely what you’ll find at BJC.
Our team includes orthopedic surgeons specializing in knee arthroplasty. Many have completed advanced training through fellowships and have been practicing for decades. We deliver care that makes daily life easier and halts knee pain for good.
Highlights of our program include:
- National recognition: Our knee replacement program has earned our program prestigious accolades. We maintain U.S. News and World Report’s High-Performing designation for knee replacement surgery. Our team is also a recipient of The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® for advanced total knee replacement.
- Bone-sparing procedures: You may benefit from a partial knee replacement if only part of your knee is damaged. BJC surgeons replace only the worn-out portion of your knee while preserving healthy bone and ligaments surrounding the joint. This approach leads to a quicker recovery. You also can maintain a better range of motion after you heal.
- Robotic surgery: BJC experts were among the first in the St. Louis region to perform partial knee replacement using robotic surgical technologies. This method helps us position the replacement joint more accurately than with traditional techniques. As a result, your new knee will feel natural right from the start and last a long time.
- Personalized surgical plan: Knee experts use a 3D model of your knee to help plan your procedure. The model helps us tailor surgery to your specific diagnosis, sex and knee anatomy.
We use research-based knee arthroscopy methods to deliver appropriate care with your comfort in mind. Knee replacement services we offer include:
- Total knee replacement: Surgeons remove the entire knee joint and replace it with an artificial device.
- Partial knee replacement: We remove only the damaged part of the joint and replace it with an artificial device. This technique preserves healthy tissue.
- Knee replacement revision: This additional procedure can help if you still have pain after knee arthroplasty. We replace the artificial joint with a new device.
Knee replacement may provide lasting relief from the symptoms of:
- Avascular necrosisA disruption to a bone's blood supply leads to tissue death. This weakens the bone, limiting its ability to support your weight.
- OsteoarthritisThis condition occurs when the cartilage that cushions the joint wears out. It's a common reason to have arthroplasty.
- Post-traumatic arthritisAn injury, such as a broken bone or torn ligament, causes extra wear and tear on your joint.
- Rheumatoid arthritisThis type of arthritis occurs when the immune system attacks your joints. In some people, it affects multiple joints.
We provide all the necessary services to support your recovery. Care often includes rehabilitation along with special therapies.
Your personalized rehabilitation program may include:
- Alton Memorial Hospital
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital
- Barnes-Jewish St. Peters Hospital
- Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital
- BJC Outpatient Center at Edwardsville
- Christian Hospital
- Memorial Hospital Belleville
- Missouri Baptist Medical Center
- Missouri Baptist Sullivan Hospital
- Parkland Health Center
- Progress West Hospital