You juggle a lot every day. So when it’s time to take care of yourself, you want a provider you can count on for the long term. Our Gynecologists and midwives make it easy to find great care for any concern. From routine preventive care to treatment for complex conditions, we’re by your side.
BJC HealthCare works with Washington University physicians, BJC Medical Group, and providers across the region to deliver extraordinary care. As one of the region's largest healthcare systems, our gynecologists and certified nurse midwives affiliated with BJC HealthCare provide convenient, compassionate care through all stages of life. Our patient-centered approach puts your needs first.
When you turn to us for gynecologic care, you’ll find:
- Individualized attention: Every individual has different health needs and goals. That’s why your care team will spend time getting to know you as a person, not just as a patient. They will build a care plan around your lifestyle, medical concerns and personal preferences to help you achieve life-long wellness.
- Shared decision-making: In women’s health care, you have a lot of choices when it comes to treatment. We encourage you to participate actively in the process with your care team so you understand all your options. Your doctor will answer any questions you have so you feel comfortable about next steps.
- Care built on relationships: When you choose a gynecologist affiliated with us, you see that same provider from diagnosis through treatment and follow-up care. You can rely on a familiar, consistent care team. Most women choose one doctor to see for general appointments, but any of our doctors can see you in an emergency.
- National recognition: Barnes-Jewish Hospital, in partnership with Washington University School of Medicine, is rated among the best in the nation for obstetrics and gynecology.
- Virtual visits: One-on-one virtual visits with your gynecologist make it easy to ask questions, review test results and have follow-up appointments. You only need a smartphone, tablet or computer to get great care, anywhere.
- Inclusive care: Care teams provide respectful, affirming care for of all gender identities and sexualities. If you are a person who is transgender, nonbinary or gender-nonconforming, you can trust that our team will help you make a wellness plan for your specific needs and preferences.
Care teams can include board-certified and fellowship-trained gynecologists with extensive experience diagnosing and treating a broad range of women’s health concerns. We encourage you to see us for a check-up if you have pain or other symptoms.
A full range of preventive care and wellness services for women, are also offered. They can include:
Family planning and birth control
STD / STI testing
Also evaluated and treated are:
Abnormal vaginal discharge
Heavy, painful periods
Sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
Vaginal itching or rashes
Menopausal symptoms like hot flashes or mood swings
Regular well-woman visits help us keep track of your health and spot problems before they become serious complications. Depending on your age and health risks, your provider can recommend how often you should see us for exams and screenings.
You can choose from a variety of providers for your gynecologic care:
Obstetrician-gynecologists (Ob/Gyn) specialize in women’s overall healthcare needs, including gynecology and prenatal care.
- Family medicine physicians are trained in primary, maternal and pediatric care and offer a range of women’s wellness services. Some also have obstetrics training.
- Midwives are registered nurses who have master’s degrees in nurse-midwifery. They offer gynecologic and pregnancy care.
- Pediatric adolescent gynecologists have special training in issues affecting the development and anatomy of growing girls and young women. Our pediatric and adolescent genecologists provide education, check-ups and treatments for complex conditions.
When you choose a provider affiliated with BJC Healthcare, you can access specialists across multiple disciplines when needed. Your gynecologist seamlessly coordinates your care with the right experts, so you receive all the services and treatments you need from one source.
A collaborative women’s health team includes gynecologists, pediatric gynecologists, obstetricians, maternal-fetal medicine specialists, urogynecologists, gynecologic oncologists, reproductive endocrinology, and infertility specialists.
Specialty gynecological care includes:
Nationally recognized gynecologic oncologists offer the latest treatments for ovarian, cervical and uterine cancer. Learn more about gynecologic cancers.
Pelvic floor specialists offer nonsurgical and surgical treatments for urinary incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse and fecal incontinence. Learn more about pelvic floor and urogynecology.
Services for infertility include artificial insemination, in vitro fertilization (IVF), fertility preservation and LGBTQ+ family-building. Learn more about fertility and reproductive medicine.
Minimally invasive treatments for fibroids, endometriosis and other conditions are available, so you recover faster and with less pain.
Comprehensive breast health services, including 3D mammography, breast cancer treatment, surgery, and education.
Gynecologists diagnose and care for the following conditions:
- EndometriosisUterine tissue grows outside the uterus, often on the ovaries or fallopian tubes, and may cause pelvic pain and other symptoms.
- MenopauseMenopause is when you stop having menstrual periods, usually between the ages of 45 and 55. Symptoms can include hot flashes and vaginal dryness.
- Pelvic painPelvic pain can result from many conditions, from an STI to uterine fibroids, endometriosis or pelvic inflammatory disease (PID).
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)PCOS is a hormonal disorder that prevents normal ovulation. It can lead to cysts in the ovaries that may affect fertility.
- Uterine fibroidsFibroids are tumors (almost always noncancerous) that develop in the uterus. They can cause pelvic pain, heavy periods and bleeding between periods.
- Alton Memorial Hospital
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital
- Barnes-Jewish St. Peters Hospital
- BJC Outpatient Center at Chesterfield
- BJC Outpatient Center at Edwardsville
- BJC Outpatient Center at Wentzville
- Christian Hospital
- Memorial Hospital Belleville
- Memorial Hospital Shiloh
- Missouri Baptist Medical Center
- Missouri Baptist Sullivan Hospital
- Parkland Health Center
- Progress West Hospital