Bone and Mineral Health
Your bone and mineral health are an important part of your overall health. It’s normal to feel overwhelmed or alarmed if you have an endocrine condition affecting your bones. Our endocrinologists are equipped to help and are here for you. You receive expert care that’s compassionate and customized for your specific healthcare needs.
BJC HealthCare works with Washington University physicians, BJC Medical Group, and providers across the region to deliver extraordinary care. Patients worldwide come to the Bone Health Program at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine. Our specialists treat even the most complex metabolic bone diseases.
As our patient, you have access to:
National recognition: You can be confident you’re receiving the highest level of care at our program. U.S. News and World Report consistently ranks our Endocrinology and Diabetes care among the top in the U.S.
- World-renowned specialists: Our endocrinologists are respected specialists in their field. They have completed years of intensive subspecialty training, so they can handle any metabolic bone condition with the expert care you deserve.
- Advanced testing: Our team provides leading-edge DEXA scans for the most accurate diagnosis. Our scans use the lowest doses of radiation and provide detailed information about your bone health.
- Team approach: You have access to a complete team that creates your personalized bone health plan. We also help you access seamless care from registered dietitians, orthopedic surgeons and other specialists when you need it.
Many hormone-related conditions can lead to bone loss or calcium imbalances. Our endocrinologists focus on preserving your existing bone density and preventing future bone loss. Your plan may include:
DEXA scans are a painless, noninvasive way to collect detailed information about your bone health. We do not use injections or dyes in DEXA scans.
Our specialists evaluate your test results and determine the underlying cause of bone loss. Then, we recommend an effective medication that works for you.
Your customized plan may include dietary changes to boost calcium or vitamin D intake. We work with you to create a diet that meets your needs.
BJC endocrinologists have completed intensive training in specific areas of bone and mineral health. Our team diagnoses and treats:
- OsteoporosisWe diagnose osteoporosis with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scans and lab tests. Our physicians create a customized plan to treat endocrine conditions that lead to bone loss.
- Paget's diseaseOur endocrinologists work with specialists, including cardiologists and orthopedists, to treat pain, joint damage and other symptoms.
- Parathyroid and calcium disordersWe provide advanced testing and treatment for parathyroid disorders to help balance calcium levels and prevent brittle bones.
- Vitamin D deficienciesOur team checks for low vitamin D levels, which leads to osteomalacia, rickets and other bone mineral disorders.