When pain in your shoulders, knees, hips or ankles becomes unbearable, there’s still hope. Joint replacement surgery, or arthroplasty, can be life changing. We perform hundreds of surgeries every year, placing us among the most experienced in the region. Find out how our surgeons can help you.
BJC HealthCare works with Washington University physicians, BJC Medical Group, and providers across the region to deliver extraordinary care. Joint pain can get in the way of the life you want to live. You deserve answers and a team of experts capable of providing lasting relief. This is what you’ll find with us. Our team delivers nationally recognized care that puts your goals within reach.
Highlights of our arthroplasty program include:
- Nationally recognized care: BJC ranks among the nation’s top joint replacement programs for hip and knee, according to U.S. News & World Report. Our program also maintains The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® for Advanced Total Hip and Total Knee Replacement.
- Multidisciplinary care: Our team delivers efficient care, helping you have a safe surgery and quicker return to daily activities. In addition to surgeons, your care team includes experts in anesthesiology, orthopedic nursing, physical therapy and occupational therapy. We work together to help you feel cared for every step of the way.
- Seamless transition to rehabilitation: You start using your new joint as soon as it is safe, often shortly after surgery. Experienced rehabilitation specialists help you feel comfortable and confident before discharge. Recovery typically continues in outpatient settings in clinics with special amenities, like therapy pools.
- Education and support: Moving forward with arthroplasty takes a lot of courage. Our team is with you every step of the way. We offer classes where you learn what to expect before, during and after your procedure. Case managers and social workers provide additional assistance to patients who need it.
Many orthopedic specialists offer virtual visits, making it easier to fit treatment into your busy lifestyle. Schedule online, receive personalized recommendations and feel better sooner.
Types of joint replacement surgery we offer include:
- Hip replacement: We remove damaged hip joints and replace them with devices specific to your sex. Learn more about hip replacement surgery.
- Knee replacement: Our experts restore pain-free movement using an artificial knee. Learn more about knee replacement surgery.
- Shoulder replacement: Surgeons replace damaged shoulder joints and use innovative options, such as reverse shoulder replacement. Learn more about shoulder replacement surgery.
Joint replacement surgery may be right for you if you have:
- Avascular necrosisA disruption to a bone's blood supply leads to tissue death. This weakens the bone, limiting its ability to support your weight.
- Developmental hip dysplasiaThis condition is present at birth. The hip socket is too shallow to hold the leg bone in place and that can cause unusual wear and tear.
- Hip impingementThis congenital condition, also known as femoralacetabular impingement (FAI) causes the upper leg bone to pinch the cup of the hip bone. This damages nearby cartilage, leading to wear and tear.
- OsteoarthritisThis condition occurs when the cartilage that cushions the joint wears out. It's a common reason to have arthroplasty.
- Post-traumatic arthritisAn injury, such as a broken bone or torn ligament, causes extra wear and tear on your joint.
- Rheumatoid arthritisThis type of arthritis occurs when the immune system attacks your joints. In some people, it affects multiple joints.
- Rotator cuff tear arthropathyShoulder arthritis occurs after damage in the rotator cuff, muscles and soft tissue that help you move your arm.