With the rise of the digital age, more patients are taking advantage of virtual doctor appointments, or video doctor visits. The convenience and safety of online appointments combined with their increasing availability is quickly making them an attractive option for patients.
Scheduling conflicts, potential long wait times and difficulty traveling to the doctor are just a few of the reasons patients forego in-person appointments. Some health care consumers may find that online doctor visits are an ideal way to get around these roadblocks and ensure a stress-free, secure experience.
Here, we look at the top 8 reasons to make virtual doctor appointments.
1. They are convenient.
You can schedule a virtual doctor appointment at a time that works for you without having to take time off work or arrange for childcare, which gives you more options.
2. You can see a doctor from the comfort of your own home.
For those who have limited transportation or simply do not want to venture out in bad weather, virtual primary care appointments offer a way to see a doctor without having to leave the house. Also, if you live in a rural area, virtual care appointments offer a way to get the care you need without the long commute.
3. You don’t risk exposure to sick people.
If you are concerned about exposure to infections, virtual care helps you mitigate this risk. A video doctor visit offers a way to see a doctor without having to sit in a waiting room with other sick patients.
4. You can get same-day appointments.
If you need to see a provider urgently, you can use virtual care to book a same-day appointment so you can feel better faster. Virtual care on-demand is also available 7 days a week from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., even on holidays, so it is a great option if everything is closed.
5. You can still get prescriptions and treatment plans virtually.
If you need a prescription or a treatment plan, this can also be managed virtually. If you do need to establish with a primary care provider to receive ongoing prescriptions, you can also schedule an online appointment with a primary care physician and search for providers near you with availability.
6. You can still get necessary tests.
Your primary care provider can order additional tests if needed during a video doctor visit, just as they would during an in-person appointment.
7. You can save money.
Virtual care appointments are less expensive than an ER or Urgent Care, and you may be able to save money on travel, potential childcare costs and parking. Make sure you know what type of care to choose, so you can get appropriate treatment at the best price.
8. Virtual care is available from a trusted care provider at BJC.
While there are many reasons to schedule a virtual appointment, the decision is ultimately up to you. If you’re looking for a convenient, stress-free and personal health care experience, virtual doctor’s appointments through BJC Medical Group could be the perfect choice for you. You do not have to be a current patient to take advantage of virtual care.
BJC patients can access virtual care two ways:
- Virtual primary care visits — BJC primary care providers offer virtual care to all of their patients. Patients can schedule an online doctor visit in advance with their primary care physician on MyChart. New patients can also establish care virtually with a BJC primary care provider to discuss a problem or have a wellness visit.
Looking for a primary care provider near you accepting new patients?
- Virtual care on-demand — see an on-call, virtual care doctor or nurse practitioner on short notice when your primary care doctor is not available or if you do not have a primary care provider. On-demand virtual care may work for you when you have a minor illness or injury that can’t wait but that doesn’t require an emergency room.
Need on-demand care?
Schedule Virtual Care