Physical Medicine and Physical Therapy
Don’t let pain hold you back from living life to the fullest. Physical medicine and physical therapy services can help you get much-needed relief. We are a regional leader offering a broad range of therapies, so you have the best chances for healing.
BJC HealthCare works with Washington University physicians, BJC Medical Group, and providers across the region to deliver extraordinary care. Our team includes trusted physical medicine doctors (physiatrists), physical therapists and rehabilitation specialists. Whether you want to resume your sport, return to work or keep up with household tasks, we can help you. We offer:
- Extraordinary care: You benefit from one-on-one therapy sessions. We work closely with you, helping you make steady progress toward your goals. This approach helps us successfully treat some of the region’s most complex cases.
- Holistic approach: Care often starts with a physiatry evaluation where we consider all possible causes for your symptoms. For example, back pain may be due to weak muscles in another area of the body. Our depth of experience enables us to make an accurate diagnosis.
- Connected services: We collaborate with all the specialists you are seeing to ensure a seamless care experience. Our extended team includes orthopedic surgeons, sports medicine doctors and human performance experts. We coordinate details like assessment findings and treatment plans that lead to exceptional outcomes.
- Innovative assessments: You have access to sophisticated evaluations that are only available in select programs such as ours. These include strength and balance testing and video motion analysis. They provide precise measurements and other data that help us determine your needs and treatment response.
Our physical medicine and rehabilitation specialists, called physiatrists, are highly skilled in diagnosing and treating musculoskeletal disorders. They have a focus on the return of function.
Physiatrists specialize in a wide array of problems affecting the musculoskeletal system, including:
- Elbow and shoulder conditions: These issues include brachial plexus injuries, frozen shoulder, rotator cuff tears, tennis elbow and golfer’s elbow. Learn more about elbow and shoulder care.
- Foot and ankle issues: We treat common and complex conditions, such as Achilles tendinitis, ankle instability, heel spurs, neuromas and plantar fasciitis. Learn more about foot and ankle care.
- Hand and wrist pain: There can be many sources of pain, including fractures, carpal tunnel syndrome, tendinitis, trigger finger and sprains. Learn more about hand and wrist care.
- Hip and knee conditions: Problems affecting the hips and knees include torn anterior cruciate ligament, hip impingement, bursitis, cartilage injuries and labral tears. Learn more about hip and knee care.
- Orthopedic trauma: We help people recover from traumatic injuries, including complex fractures, dislocations, spinal cord injuries and amputations. Learn more about orthopedic trauma.
- Sports injuries: Athletes and active people may suffer injuries from overusing their muscles, colliding with other people or objects and wearing ill-fitting equipment. Learn more about sports injuries.
We treat a range of conditions with physical therapy and rehabilitation, including:
- ArthritisThis condition occurs when there is inflammation and stiffness. It may be due to rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis or post-traumatic arthritis.
- Back, spine and neck issuesThese conditions include an unusual spine curvature, slipped or herniated disks, sciatica and trauma.
- Chronic painLong-lasting pain anywhere in the body that does not respond to standard therapies.
- Sports injuriesThese injuries, such as sprains, strains, bursitis or tendonitis, occur in active people.
- Work injuriesInjuries may occur in the workplace, including deep cuts (lacerations), crushes, fractures, sprains and strains.
- Alton Memorial Hospital
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital
- Barnes-Jewish St. Peters Hospital
- Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital
- BJC Outpatient Center at Edwardsville
- Christian Hospital
- Memorial Hospital Belleville
- Memorial Hospital Shiloh
- Missouri Baptist Medical Center
- Missouri Baptist Sullivan Hospital
- Northwest HealthCare
- Parkland Health Center
- Progress West Hospital