BJC Employees Make a Difference Through Pedal the Cause
Each year, BJC and its employees support dozens of causes, many of them near and dear to the heart for employees and their loved ones. Here is an example of that support.
Pedal the Cause just wrapped up its most successful event yet. On Sept. 23 and 24, more than 3,000 riders, 350 Kids-Challenge participants, more than 1,000 volunteers and more than 5,000 spectators gathered at Chesterfield Amphitheater to raise money to benefit innovative cancer research.
With the bold model of using 100 percent of public donations to fund world-class cancer research, all donations fund cancer research projects at Siteman Cancer Center and Siteman Kids at St. Louis Children’s Hospital.
Since 2010, funds raised through Pedal the Cause have helped launch more than 60 adult cancer research projects at Siteman through The Foundation for Barnes-Jewish Hospital’s Cancer Frontier Fund. This fund is specifically designed to speed promising cancer research forward to bring more hope to Siteman’s friends and families — sooner. Learn more at the Pedal the Cause website
The next Pedal the Cause will take place September 29-30, 2018.
Teams by the numbers: BJC employee impact, as of November 3
- 54 members: 36 riders, 2 spinners, 1 Kids Challenge participant, 2 virtual riders and 13 volunteers
- $31,521.05 raised in 2017
Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital
- 29 members: 24 riders, 1 spinner and 4 volunteers
- $28,294 raised in 2017
Siteman Cancer Center
- 418 members: 268 riders, 23 spinners, 16 Kids Challenge participants, 72 virtual riders and 39 volunteers
- $369,037.08 raised in 2017
St. Louis Children’s Hospital
- 144 members: 109 riders, 13 spinners, 4 Kids Challenge participants, 14 virtual riders and 4 volunteers
- $86,987.11 raised in 2017