The roof of the Barnes-Jewish Hospital team member garage at 4456 Duncan Ave. is being transformed into a solar farm this summer. It's the result of a partnership between BJC HealthCare and Ameren Missouri.
According to Ameren, the roof is a prime location for solar energy generation because it offers unobstructed exposure to the sky.
In addition to generating 1.8 megawatts of energy for the grid, the structure supporting the 4,547 solar panels will provide shade for the cars on the top level of the garage, which covers the area equivalent of two football fields.
Construction began in late spring to reinforce garage support structures. The solar panels are expected to start generating power this fall.
- Number of steel beams: 216 beams/67 columns
- Weight of steel: 400 tons
- Number of solar panels: 4,547 panels
- Weight of all solar panels: 215,982 pounds
- Size of each solar panel: 21 square feet
- Amount of electric it will generate: 1.8 megawatts