Sixteen charities near and dear to the hearts of nominating BJC team members will receive a share of the annual BJC Gives Back program to support local, grassroots non-profit health and human service agencies. In its third year, BJC Gives Back invites BJC employees to nominate a charitable organization to receive a portion of the $30,000 total funding. This year, employees submitted nearly 100 deserving nominations, which were then evaluated by the St. Louis Community Foundation.
The 16 recommended organizations will receive donations ranging from $1,500 to $3,500. Selected charities span the St. Louis region, outstate Missouri and the Metro East, and support health, wellness, basic needs, youth and child development, education, and behavioral health. This year’s awardees are:
- All Aboard Learning Center
- Allison’s Angel Gowns
- Bridge Bread
- Bridge of Hope
- Community Interfaith Food Pantry
- Deaconess Nurse Ministry
- Food Outreach
- GiFT (Giving is a Family Tradition)
- Hope Ranch
- Join Hands ESL, Inc.
- Meals on Wheels
- Project Compassion NFP
- St. Louis BWorks
- The Metro-East St. Louis Community Initiative
- The Mightiest Mamas
- The T Community Health Education Center
“As a nonprofit organization and one of the region’s largest employers, BJC works to be a good neighbor and community member, including support of charitable organizations that share a similar mission,” says Rich Liekweg, BJC president and CEO. “We hope these donations to some unsung heroes among charities can help support our collective missions in the communities we serve together.”
About St. Louis Community Foundation
With nearly 100 nominations from caring team members, BJC partnered with the St. Louis Community Foundation to evaluate and make recommendations on distribution of the $30,000 charitable donation. Located in Clayton, Missouri, the Foundation has been helping St. Louisans put charitable dollars to work since 1915. The Foundation works with individuals, nonprofits, corporations and community leaders to build a more equitable and vibrant region, making a difference through inspired charitable giving.
Meet the charities
All Aboard Learning Center – Cuba, Missouri
- Child care center dedicated to providing a safe, structured and supportive program for children and families of Crawford County, Missouri.
- Nominated by: Tammy Bouse, BJC HealthCare, and Natalie Counts, Missouri Baptist Sullivan Hospital
Allison’s Angel Gowns – Hamel, Illinois
- Creates hand-made infant gowns from donated wedding gowns, to provide special clothing for angel babies who have passed away. Gowns are given to hospitals to provide to grieving parents and families at a time of need.
- Nominated by: Denise Glueck, BJC HealthCare
Bridge Bread – St. Louis
- Social enterprise that provides supportive employment, meaningful work and the development of marketable skills for people without safe and stable housing.
- Nominated by: Lori Mounts, BJC HealthCare
Bridge of Hope – St. Louis
- Creates pathways out of poverty through education and advocacy, and connects people by breaking down barriers of age, race, culture, economics and education.
- Nominated by: Douglas Pogue, MD, BJC Medical Group
Community Interfaith Food Pantry – Belleville, Illinois
- Coalition formed by 11 church ministries to provide food and counseling to those in need throughout the Belleville and Swansea, Illinois, communities with a goal of eliminating hunger in the community.
- Nominated by: Barbara Masters, Memorial Hospital Belleville/Shiloh
Deaconess Nurse Ministry – Hazelwood, Missouri
- Provides mental, physical and spiritual health-related services, education and advocacy to seniors and low-income adults at places of worship, community organizations and health organizations to create holistic wellness.
- Nominated by: Christopher Guelbert, Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Food Outreach – St. Louis
- Provides nutritional support and enhances the quality of life for men, women and children living with HIV/AIDS or cancer.
- Nominated by: Susan Barnes, BJC HealthCare, and Sharon Curran, BJC HealthCare
GiFT (Giving is a Family Tradition) – St. Louis
- Restores stability and dignity for families who have experienced prolonged hospitalization of their newborn through education, providing infant care essentials, and breaking barriers for visitation.
- Nominated by: Abbey Iffrig, BJC HealthCare
Hope Ranch – Freeburg, Illinois
- Enhances quality of life through equine-assisted physical, occupational and speech therapy, including development of skills critical for future independence.
- Nominated by: Heidi Hoskins, Joyce McDaniel, Tara Richards, Shelby Ruckriegel, and Lynette Stanko, Memorial Hospital Belleville/Shiloh
Join Hands ESL, Inc. – East St. Louis, Illinois
- Provides families a pathway out of poverty by prioritizing education and providing youth programming and mentoring programs.
- Nominated by: Patrick Knapp, Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Meals on Wheels – Greater St. Louis Metropolitan Area
- All-volunteer organization delivering affordable, nutritious meals to the elderly, handicapped and convalescent in the St. Louis area who are unable to shop for or prepare their own meals.
- Nominated by: Megan Smith, Barnes-Jewish St. Peters Hospital
Project Compassion NFP – Belleville, Illinois
- Provides support for at risk and low-income community members through educational services, therapy and necessary essentials.
- Nominated by: Jason Fedak, BJC HealthCare
St. Louis BWorks – St. Louis
- Inspires youth to pursue their dreams, care for the world around them, and explore new possibilities through experiential learning and educational programs rooted in teamwork and responsibility.
- Nominated by: Brenna Slavens, BJC HealthCare
The Metro-East St. Louis Community Initiative – East St. Louis, Illinois
- Develops low-income housing opportunities for at-need residents to create support strategies for under-developed individuals, promote health awareness among the socially and economically impaired residents of the Metro-East, and provide academic and career alternatives for individuals encountering job transitions.
- Nominated by: Jonathan Long, BJC HealthCare
The Mightiest Mamas – St. Louis
- Provides support and uplifts the mighty mamas of messy motherhoods, for women who experience unconventional conception, pregnancies and/or births.
- Nominated by: Kayla Kleeschulte, BJC HealthCare
The T Community Health Education Center – St. Louis
- A health education and resource center made up of health care workers and volunteers who work together to provide support to those recovering from the impact of Trauma whether it be from bullets, opiates, COVID-19 or homelessness.
- Nominated by: Linda Bonano, Barnes-Jewish Hospital