The expansion of St. Louis Children's Hospital began with demolition of Jewish Hospital School of Nursing in mid-2013. Demolition was completed summer 2014 with construction starting soon thereafter.
Listen to Navigating the St. Louis Children’s Hospital Campus Expansion Podcast, with F. Sessions Cole, MD.
New construction will:
New to the expansion:
- Sixteen standard, private rooms designed for staff and patient safety are located on floors seven through 12
- Each room is zoned for patient, staff and family members
- Multiple workstations are located on each floor to provide improved access to patients
- Separate elevator banks for the public and for staff and patients; there will be one new elevator that is sized to accommodate ECMO patients
- A new helipad is on the top of the SLCH expansion providing better accessibility for Newborn ICU and pediatric patients, as well as expecting mothers
By the numbers
- Square Feet: 222,000
- Stories: 12
- Pediatric Beds: 96
- New/Renovated NICU Beds: 132