Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web

Answers from the BJC Experts

Ask the BJC Expert allows you to get the answers you need about a variety of health, medicine and exercise issues to help you live a more healthy life.

Please browse the most recent questions below or use the search the questions feature to see if the answer to your question is already given. If not, please submit a new question for our experts.

I have irritable bowel syndrome and diarrhea, and need help controlling it with my diet.

See a registered dietitian who can sit down with you and discuss your specific case. It's good to keep a food log, noting what foods bother you, then avoiding or limiting those foods. Milk bothers some people, but they can sometimes tolerate yogurt. So the diet can vary from person to person. Eating small frequent meals can help. Increasing fiber, eating less high-fat foods and more whole grains, fruits and vegetables can help. Be sure to drink enough water (8 glasses daily) when having diarrhea.

Read about Irritable Bowel Syndrome from the National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. Learn more about nutrition counseling at:

BJC dietitians also can be located by calling Help For Your Health at 314.747.7234.

4901 Forest Park Avenue
St. Louis, Missouri 63108
Copyright © 1997- 2021 BJC HealthCare. All Rights Reserved.