As an increased safety measure, some patients scheduled for surgery or other procedures at BJC HealthCare facilities might need to be tested for coronavirus (COVID-19). This will depend on the procedure being performed as well as the patient’s health and history. This COVID-19 test requires a referral from a physician, and the patient should ideally be tested within 3 days prior to the scheduled surgery or procedure. Your doctor’s office will provide instructions on how to obtain your test through the hospital or at a BJC collection site.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- A doctor’s order is required for coronavirus (COVID-19) testing.
- No special preparation is required for this type of testing.
- For all locations we are restricting visitors. Learn more about our restricted visitor policy and what exceptions apply.
- Please bring a current photo ID and your insurance card.
- Test results will be sent directly to the physician and the doctor’s office will contact you with the results. For patients who use MyChart, results may also be available within 24-48 hours.
- To reduce the risk of exposure between the time the test is taken and the time of the procedure, it is important to remain at home as isolated from others outside your home as possible, until you proceed to having your procedure. Learn more about self-quarantine and what it means for you and your family.