Did you know October’s superfood is pumpkin? No, not pumpkin spice, but fresh or canned pumpkin.
Pumpkins are loaded with Vitamin A and beta carotene which promote healthy eyes and skin, and help fight against infection. Eating delicious fat-free, cholesterol-free, sodium-free pumpkin, along with other fresh fruits and vegetables, can reduce your risk of coronary heart disease, stroke, and some cancers. The low calorie count also helps prevent obesity – a significant risk factor for type 2 diabetes, cancer, and cardiovascular disease.
Apples and Arugula with Pumpkin and Ricotta on Toast
- 1 cup Canned Pumpkin
- 1/4 cup Ricotta Cheese, Part Skim
- 1 Tbsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Arugula Lettuce Leaf
- 1 Tbsp, 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp, 1 tsp Fresh Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup Green Onions, Thinly Sliced
- 4 slices Sourdough Bread, Sliced
- 1/2 cup Fresh Peeled Apples, Sliced
- Mix the pumpkin, ricotta, cumin, lemon juice and pepper together well. Set aside.
- In a bowl toss the Arugula with the orange juice and the apple slices. Set aside. Use artisanal sourdough loaves, sliced about . inch thick. Brush both sides with olive oil and grill on a hot grill, griddle or Panini press until toasted.
- Spread the pumpkin mixture over the toast and top with the Arugula-Apple mix. Garnish with sliced green onions.
180 calories • 7g fat • 1.5g saturated fat • 25g carbohydrates • 6g protein • 3g fiber • 190mg sodium
Honey-Roasted Pumpkin with Feta
- 2lb Pumpkin, Fresh, Cubed
- 1 Tbsp Canola Oil
- 3/4 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 4 tsp Pecan Halves, Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Feta Cheese, Crumbled
- Mix oil, brown sugar and honey together. Toss with diced pumpkin. Roast in 350F degree oven until pumpkin is cooked through and lightly caramelized, about 20 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool completely before adding the cheese.
- Toast the pecans in a 350F oven for 5-7 minutes until they become fragrant and brown slightly. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Top the roasted pumpkin with the crumbled feta and pecans.
140 calories • 6g fat • 1g saturated fat • 21g carbohydrates • 3g protein • 1g fiber • 35mg sodium