BJC announces plans to replace Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital
The plan to replace Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital is a step closer to reality. After nearly two years of planning, the design of the new hospital is complete, and contractors will break ground first quarter 2017.
“We’re very excited to share the vision of our beautiful new facilities,” says Trish Lollo, president, Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital. “The design team has worked closely with our leadership and team members to create a modern patient care environment that further enables clinicians to provide the very best care and support the needs of our patients.”
The new hospital calls for 64 private patient rooms, four intensive care unit rooms and 14 operating rooms, with room for future expansion to 100 inpatient rooms and 16 operating rooms. An adjoining medical office building will facilitate access to hospital services.
The new hospital will continue BJWCH’s focus on low acuity, short-stay surgical and medical cases, including colorectal, gastroenterology, joint reconstruction/ replacement, ophthalmology, otolaryngology, plastics, spine, thoracic, urology and vascular surgery.
“The patients at our BJC hospitals have come to expect exceptional care in a comfortable, safe and healing environment,” says Lollo. “The new facilities are designed to incorporate advanced approaches to patient care, which will further support our skilled clinicians.
The new hospital will open first quarter 2019. Visit bjc.org/construction/bjwch for ongoing project information.
What we’re building – by the numbers
Facts and features
260,000 square foot hospital
- Bright lobby, waiting area, guest services and café
- 3 levels of private inpatient rooms
- 64 rooms will open in 2019
- 32 rooms will be finished in the future
- Four intensive care unit rooms
- 14 operating rooms
- Interventional radiology
- New emergency department
- Separate elevators for staff, patients and visitors, and supplies
A 100,000-square-foot medical office building
- Four floors of physician office space
- Connected to the hospital
- Convenient parking underneath
The new Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital will provide a healing environment that’s innovative, modern and efficient, designed to enhance the excellent patient care for which we are known. Our campus will be the health care destination of choice for:
- Our Patients: Centered on the patient experience – intimate, welcoming and rejuvenating, focused on the health and well-being of patients and their caregivers.
- Our Employees: Created to continually inspire our skilled and extraordinary people.
- Our Physicians: State-of-the-art technology and facilities that further enable our physician partners to advance the world-class medicine they provide.
- Our Community: Continuing our tradition to improve the health of our community.