Healthcare for Missouri is a statewide coalition of voters, patients, medical professionals, business leaders and organizations committed to expanding Medicaid through a ballot initiative in the November 2020 election. Medicaid expansion in Missouri will provide health care coverage to more than 200,000 hardworking Missourians, bring more than $1 billion in tax dollars back to Missouri every year, and keep more rural and safety net hospitals open.
This ballot measure will let Missouri voters decide whether to give low-income Missourians the same access to health insurance as 36 states have already done.
Facts about the uninsured in Missouri
- According to the Kaiser Foundation, over 71% of potentially Medicaid eligible adults work full time and another 14% work part time in areas such as food preparation, service-related occupations, farming, delivery and personal care, but they have jobs that don’t provide insurance. The majority of the uninsured live in rural communities.
- Current Medicaid income eligibility requirements for adults are so low that if a custodial parent makes more than $301 a month, they lose their insurance. Someone who is disabled or blind can earn no more than $10,617 a year before they lose their health care insurance. Childless adults are ineligible for Medicaid coverage in Missouri.
Facts about Medicaid expansion
- Expansion is fiscally responsible. It brings in $1 billion a year based on a 90% federal-to-state match for the newly insured under Medicaid.
- Expanding Medicaid increases the income eligibility requirements to $16,753 a year for adults and $28,676 for a family of three.
- Access to care allows all Missouri citizens to get the care they need, when they need it. Delaying care can often turn something small into a life-threatening emergency down the road.
- Six rural hospitals have closed in Missouri. Medicaid expansion will help keep rural hospitals open and boost our economy.
How you can help Healthcare for Missouri achieve Medicaid expansion:
- As a registered Missouri voter, sign the petition to put Medicaid expansion on the ballot. More than 172,000 signatures are needed by May 2020.
- As a community leader, endorse the measure by adding your name and/or your organization to Healthcare for Missouri at www.healthcareformissouri.org.
- Send a letter of support to your local newspaper.
- As a health care champion, stay informed.
For additional information
- Visit www.healthcareformissouri.org to become a supporter, volunteer, donate, share a health care story or make an organizational endorsement.
- Explore Healthcare for Missouri on Facebook and on Twitter @HealthcareForMO
- Text “care” to 21333. Automated texts will be used to collect additional information like name, location and email.